Re: a HOWTO for how to debug kernel?

From: George Anzinger (george@pioneer.net)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 11:33:40 EST

Nasser Abbasi wrote:

> George Anzinger wrote:
>
> > You want to modify CFLAGS.
>
> I modified the above flag in /usr/src/linux/Makefile and add '-g'
>
> Now, when building kernel using 'make bzImage', it is too big for
> lilo:

The kernel is stripped as part of building bzImage. Are you
sure vmlinuz is the bzImage output? To clarify this for
you, vmlinux in the 'top directory' is the file usually
passed to gdb. It has all the symbols etc. The bzImage
file is the one to boot and it does not need (nor use) the
symbols.

I just checked the i386 makefiles and they do strip (i.e.
all the symbols are deleted as part of the compression) the
compressed files. The make files (at least as far as I can
find) do not reference vmlinuz. Look in your build tree in
'arch/<arch>/boot' Is the size of bzImage there the same as
/boot/vmlinuz ?
I think you are booting from the wrong file (i.e. not the
compressed file).

> >lilo
> Kernel /boot/vmlinuz is too big
> >

> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11573722 Jun 2 20:06 vmlinuz
>
> so, what do I do now?
>
> Is there a HOWTO on how to debug the kernel?? (I read the hacker guide,
> and kernel how to, but nothing much in terms of how to debug the kernel).

Right. Well I and a few others are trying to open this up a
bit. Attached find my patch to do kernel debugging. It is
complete with the configuration changes needed to turn it on
and off. This patch is for the 2.2.14 kernel. It _may_
work with others, but your milage may vary.