Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying reiserfs integration)

From: Hans Reiser (hans@reiser.to)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 20:47:34 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:
>
> > We will be doing wandering logs, and journaling in ReiserFS has
> > another 18 months of DEEP innovations planned for it.
> > Standardization bureaucrats should stay out of the way, we need
> > to code.
>
> This is all very cool, but if it means that the on-disk format
> will keep changing every few weeks, I think it may be better to
> delay reiserfs integration in the kernel until 2.5 ...

I should add that not only do I see us only changing the disk format once every
major Linux release, but we intend maintaining old format support eternally.

Really, it is possible to innovate in filesystems, disk format does not
technically need to prevent that.

We have plans for implementing our object oriented balancing code such that it
really does not care about formats, it has handlers for old and new items
types. We did this somewhat in 3.6 to handle the 64 bit change, and we intend
to do it extremely in v4.

Hans