Re: I'm trying to identify the configuration-file maintainers

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 10:39:24 EST

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>:
> There are no configuration file maintainers generally. For major
> subsystems, like drivers/char or drivers/net, it is -incorrect- to say
> that there is a maintainer at all. For specific subsystems, like ISDN
> or FireWire, the maintainers for those subsystems are the ones who
> typically update the Config.in file, but that is not a rule. Andrezj
> (sp?) in particular has been going through the Config.in files and
> cleaning up a lot of cruft.

OK, but knowing who considers themselves responsible for the
associated subsystem is what I need (and a couple of people have in
fact emailed me saying "that Config.in is mine").

What I'm trying to do is identify the people with the biggest stake in
CML1 (and, correspondingly, the most to gain from scrapping it). I need
to know who they are because I need a victory condition -- I need to
engineer not just code but a visible consensus.

That is, to get CML2 adopted, I think I need to be able to go to Linus
and say something like "30 of the 40 maintainers have signed off on
the CML2 idea and the accuracy of their pieces of the CML1->CML2
translation".

If there's a group of major stakeholders I don't know about, please
do tell me.

--

When all government ...in little as in great things... shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power; it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another, and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated." -- Thomas Jefferson, 1821 Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament'. If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals.