Re: RFC Maestro-3i

From: Zach Brown (zab@zabbo.net)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 08:08:30 EST

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 04:40:57PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Martin Dalecki wrote:
>
> > However I got the /dev/mixer support for it
> > running by just adapting the Maestro 1,2,2e drivers.

*nod* Most of the Maestro3 is quite similar to the 1/2/2e. It still
uses the same ac97 interface as the old parts. (Which is kinda
disappointing, I hope they also added the ability to do SMP safe mmio
access :))

> > I have the tech doc's about the whole thing.

No you don't :) Notice that the docs don't describe how the ASSP works.
Notice that they axed the APU part (yay!), which unfortunately means
that we're now left with having to talk to the ASSP to do our DAC work
(boo).

I haven't had maestro hardware since I left Red Hat in mid-march. I
have been talking with ESS again recently, though. They're keen on
giving me some hardware again to keep the 1/2/2e going. We're still
talking about m3 support. One can guess the usual reasons they're none
too excited about releasing specifications of the ASSP :(

I've found someone at work who has a m3 on their desktop. I'm going to
try sometime this week to get SB emul going. We can at least get the
part hobbling along pretending to be a SB while we try and convince ESS
to let us make the most of their cool DSP.

I also intend to get a maestro-users list going Sometime Soon, I'll
probably announce that and the progress of the sbemul attempt sometime
late this week.

--
 zach