Re: 250MB iomega zip?

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 19:18:41 EST

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 12:10:41PM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> AEB,
>
> What is the geometry of the drive media?
> There was a dirty table that listed drives like my 100ZIP that has screw
> CHS.
>
> 32/64/96
>
> There is a forced 64 head limit in ide-floppy.c

I collected information and put it on
        http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/zip/zip-1.html

You see that the geometry depends on various things -
only the disk drive industry with a long tradition of
strange trickery can invent such schemes - the drive knows
about what DOS usually writes in the first few sectors of
the disk, and changes that a little, to let DOS think that
it is a fixed disk, or a big floppy, depending on the setting
of a jumper.

I have not studied the Linux driver code recently, and
do not possess such drives myself (yet).

Andries