Re: Linux 2.2.16pre7

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 05:23:25 EST

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Jan Evert van Grootheest wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin" wrote:
> > Followup to: <E12x7gY-0003WO-00@the-village.bc.nu>
> > By author: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> > >
> > > o Add DHCP to the ip autoconfig stuff (Chip Salzenberg)
> > >

> > RARP might be hard, but BOOTP/DHCP should be easy enough. However, I
> > *do* think that it is worth pointing out that __init makes
> > startup-only kernel bloat of this kind far more forgivable.
>
> Ehm, I think that most DHCP stuff would not be __init, since the lease
> on the IP address needs to be renewed every now and then.

You should be able to make virtually all the DHCP stuff __init; the kernel
needs to get the lease initially, but after this has been done, a
userspace daemon can take care of renewing the lease etc. This way,
particularly with long leases, you can page the daemon out and forget
about it until the next renewal (if any).

James.