Lack of CD in SCSI CDR drive halts boot

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 16:16:55 EST

This isn't exactly a crash I don't think but a program failing to exit
during a startup script.

In earlier threads I described how I got my Adaptec APA-1480 SlimSCSI
host bus adapter working on my Compaq Presario 1800T with various
patches applied.

I can mount and read CD's ok, and burn CD's that read fine on other
OSes.

But if I boot the machine with no CD media in the drive I get a message
from "sr0" that goes something to the effect of "drive not ready, make
sure there is a CD in the drive" and then the process of booting just
stops. I think some process just never exits that a startup script is
waiting for.

I got the same message with kernel 2.2.13, but it didn't stop the boot.

Note that I always have an IDE drive in this machine, and I don't get
any message like that. If I attached the CD burner and there is a CD in
the drive, then sr0 prints a message that correctly identifies various
characteristics of my CD burner. No CD in the tray though, and no
startup.

The patches I used to get my Adaptec card working were Garth Reese's
patch to enable the PCI expansion ROM in the thread "Can't recognize
Adaptec APA-1480 in linux 2.4.0-test1-ac4", but with the files
linux/drivers/scsi/scsi* backed out to the 2.4.0-test1 version, all on
top of 2.4.0-test1-ac7.

Mike Crawford
http://www.goingware.com
crawford@goingware.com