Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 22:59:18 EST

Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org>:
> Eric: teaching ones grandmother to suck eggs is rather extreme;
> my reference to lex and yacc had more to do with the fact you aren't
> as familiar with the mores and society of the kernel group as you could
> be; if you were you would have known what a storm of protest the use
> of python would have raised, which using lex and yacc would have
> avoided almost altogether.

I'd have proposed it anyway. because the first law of this crowd is
"Laugh in the face of danger!".

Uh, no, actually it's "the Right Thing is more important than the
amount of flamage you need to go through to get there". And Python is
the Right Thing for this job.

Don't believe me? Fine. Keep an eye on the various gentlemen who are
promising C-CML2 implementations. Their intentions are good. Their
skills are, I have no doubt, quite sharp. It will be ... interesting ...
to see how far they get.

--

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the Atmosphere. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Abigail Adams, 1787