Syscall number allocation

From: Josh Huber (huber@missioncriticallinux.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 15:47:16 EST

Is there some sort of precedent/procedure for reserving syscall table
entries? I'm working on getting a new version of our crash dump system
ready, and binary compatibility for the user-space part between kernel
versions would be a big plus for users.

I'm told that Linus is somewhat anti debugging systems in the kernel, so it
seems like the only route to make using our system and painless as possible
would be to have system call entries marked as unimplemented, which would be
filled in when you apply our patch.

Comments? Suggestions?

Josh