Re: CML2 0.2.0

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 15:23:21 EST

Daniel Taylor <dante@plethora.net>:
> On the contrary, if the user has explicitly enabled modules, and selected
> the option for which the dependency exists as a module, it should default
> the dependency to build as a module. Obviously the user can override this,
> but it is safe and obvious to have it as the default.
>
> To select a module and have a dependency built into the main kernel
> because of it is _decidedly_ nonintuitive.

I agree.

Shortly I'll post a note describing the strategy I propose to use.
It's open to debate -- it may well be that people with more experience
in this problem domain can propose a smarter and/or simpler algorithm.

--

[The disarming of citizens] has a double effect, it palsies the hand and brutalizes the mind: a habitual disuse of physical forces totally destroys the moral [force]; and men lose at once the power of protecting themselves, and of discerning the cause of their oppression. -- Joel Barlow, "Advice to the Privileged Orders", 1792-93