Re: RE: Cryptography in the kernel (was: Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary))

From: Walter Hofmann (walter.hofmann@physik.stud.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 13:20:08 EST

On Fri, 02 Jun 2000, Matthew Dharm wrote:

> You know, this entire crypto thread just reminded me of something...
>
> How many people have heard of GNU Privacy Guard (gpg)? Because of patent
> restrictions (i.e. laws), it cannot be distributed in the United States
> with an RSA engine in it. Oddly enough, there is a run-time plug-in module
> that will provide the RSA engine it needs to function perfectly.

This also shows that implementing cryptography without infringing
patents is perfectly possible. Gpg is fully functional even without RSA
(except some inter-operability problems with PGP, obviously).

BTW, RSA is scheduled for inclusion in gpg for September, which is when
the patent expires.

Walter Hofmann