VIA52CXXX problem (2.2.15/16pre7)

From: James Bourne (jbourne@affinity-systems.ab.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 10:10:29 EST

Hi,
I'm currently building a system using an FIC SD-11 motherboard (onboard
VIA82C686A) and Quantum LM drives plus a PDC20262 card (currently one, soon
to be two).

Problem is this:
On boot everything goes smoothly, only if I set the drives on the VIA
controller to UDMA 66 mode2 I get
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hda: DMA disabled
hdb: DMA disabled

Once DMA is disabled the drives pickup ok and everything works.

I set the drives to UDMA 66 mode 4 and they work fine (currently on the
second run of bonnie, 3 reps on the VIA and 3 reps on the PDC at the same
time, no errors, ~20-24M/s for both drives).

The error is being generated at line 210 in ide-dma.c (I think) under 2.2.15
with the may 9, 2000 ide patch.

I'm not sure if this is a problem (I thought you should be able to drop the
mode down on a mode 3/4 drive if you wanted to) or if this is normal (pass the
clue stick, I'll do it myself).

The .config is attached, and any other info feel free to contact me
directly.

Regards,
Jim

--