Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)

From: Markus Pfeiffer (profmakx.fmp@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 07:50:28 EST

Sasi Peter wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
> > About the only think I can think of is turning off CPUs on a SMP
> > laptop for powermanagement.. :P So unless someone from transmeta speaks
> > up about a quad cpu laptop this just sounds like a feature looking for a
> > need. (i.e. worthless cruft)
>
> No!
>
> Think of a fan failing on one of the CPUs, in the middle of a veri
> important computing task. If you can umount that CPU, it will not burn and
> crash from overheat, and your process can also finish off.
>
> Thinking of HA, when desinging the future of linux is a must...

ehemmm,
I think the CPU will burn even if it is umounted ... and a fan failing
Good, if you take a very cheap one, but if one does high performance
computing
one doesn´t use crappy equipment, and even if a failure of expensive
equipment
is possible, I think the scheduler changes are too expensive ( of the
speeds point of
view ... ). People at Be seem to be playing people...

Regards Markus

--
´ The light was brighter
' The grass was greener