Re: Wierd problem with mount, labels and 2.3.99-pre9+

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 04:52:45 EST

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 09:58:07AM +0200, Martin Costabel wrote:
> Tom Rini wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 02:23:05AM +0200, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you sure you use mount from util-linux 2.10m?
> >
> > D'oh. I coulda swore I updated mount as well, guess not. Sorry about that.
>
> Tom, I don't see any difference with mount-2.10m. If you use KDE, every
> time you click on a drive symbol it gets mounted once again. And you
> cannot unmount it at all as non-root user, because "umount: it seems
> /mnt/cdrom is mounted multiple times".
>
> The basic problem is this sick idea to allow multiple mounts of the same
> file system on the same mount point.

You are talking about different things.

"mount -a" will mount everything that is not mounted yet.
This `not mounted yet' test was improved in 2.10m, so
that also cases where mounting by label or UUID was involved
were handled correctly.

What you are dissatisfied with is that a recent kernel will
happily mount one filesystem many times, even on the same
mount point. Yes, that will have to be fixed, in the kernel.

Andries