How to activate NAT in 2.2.1x ?

From: Wolfgang Wegner (wolfgang@leila.ping.de)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 04:19:49 EST

Hello there,
just a little question for the networking fraction, i hope:

I want to use NAT with a machine running 2.2.14, but i did not
find a tool to activate or configure the actual translation.
I configured the kernel with
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_NAT=y
(which i think are the most relevant settings for NAT), and i also
found http://www.suse.de/~mha/linux-ip-nat/diplom/node1.html, which
seems to be the original implementation of NAT for 2.0.xx kernels.
I downloaded ipnatadm, but when trying to compile it there are many
errors leading to the suspicion this is not usable for 2.2.x any
more.
In the documentation of ipmasqadm and ipchains, i did not find any
support for NAT.
www.rustcorp.com, which seemed to me as an important (and for 2.2.x,
the only?) source for NAT resources, is not available. :-(

So, is there anyone out there who can tell me where to look for the
missing bits?

Thanks,
Wolfgang