CML2 0.2.3 is available

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@snark.thyrsus.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 03:10:41 EST

See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/kbuild for more.

Release 0.2.3: Fri Jun 2 03:35:54 EDT 2000
        * Found and optimized away the quadratic search that was making
          0.2.2 painfully slow.
        * Correct checkbuttons for boolean values.

The compiler is looking very solid. So are the line-oriented and
X front ends. There is one unresolved bug report of a crash in the
curses front end; I couldn't reproduce it, so it may have come out
in the wash in the evolution from 0.2.2 to 0.2.3.

The bad slowdown in 0.2.2 is fixed; I found a way to optimize the
deduction code that gets rid of most of the overhead of visibility
calculations.

I believe the command set for the front ends is basically complete,
unless somebody points out a basic new capability that I haven't
thought up. The UIs are in close to final form. The only significant
capability still missing is the ability to edit long string fields
in the curses front end, and I expect to fix that soon.

All praise to the intrepid early adopters on the linux-kernel list who
helped CML2 get past its teething stage: David Kamholz, Giacomo
Catenazzi, Robert Wittams, and Randy Dunlap.

--

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." -- Patrick Henry, speech of June 5 1788