RE: [linux-fbdev] multihead (was Re: VGA and pci_enable_device)

From: Brad Douglas (Brad@NERUO.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 18:58:39 EST

This should also be possible with my latest aty128fb code (almost finished).
I've got some cleanup and testing yet to do. I should be done in another
couple days to a week, time permitting.

> > the ability to init a card without VGA BIOS -- because sometimes the
> > card simply won't work at all without such. Or VGA BIOS may not be
> > present, or may be present but unexecuted.
>
> Another problem is the VGA BIOS are often not multihead
> friendly at all.

Even it was so, it's only an Intel solution (possibly Alpha?).

There was some discussion on fbdev awhile back with the consensus being that
for optimal support, VGA BIOS should be ignored and the card [re]programmed
directly. From what I have been told, manufacturers are generally reluctant
to give out such information.

Brad Douglas
brad@neruo.com
http://www.linux-fbdev.org