Re: (reiserfs) Re: any chance we could dump the 64k subdirectory limit before 2.4 ships?

From: Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH (allbery@kf8nh.apk.net)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 12:35:36 EST

On 06/01/00 17:56:45 +0200 Jamie Lokier <lfs@tantalophile.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
+-----
| I just tried AFS on a few systems, some Linux and some not. It's idea
| of i_nlink for directories is weird. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it's
| a lower count that bears no obvious relationship to anything. I haven't
| tried ARLA, the free AFS clone.
+--->8

It's actually quite simple: look at the output of "fs lsmount *" in the
directory where i_nlink is "wrong".

Why does this happen? Secretly an AFS volume mountpoint is a symlink. You
can test this by creating a symlink that is formatted the same as an AFS
mountpoint; for example,

tully:212 Z$ ln -s \#ece.cmu.edu:sup.cron. cron
tully:213 Z$ ls
Desktop Office51 bin mail qhinfo.pl~
Facilities OldFiles cron pgp-5.0-key-advisory.txt rfc2060.txt
GNUstep Public freshen.sh public_html sieve.txt
News _ jpilot-0.98 qhinfo.pl src
tully:214 Z$ ls cron
3.0.1 3.0.1-1 omega
tully:215 Z$ fs rmm cron
tully:216 Z$ _

(The trailing . on the volume name should normally be \0, but most stuff
just chops it off without looking.)

--
brandon s. allbery       os/2,linux,solaris,perl       allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator   kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt,cyrus    allbery@ece.cmu.edu