Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 09:38:11 EST

Ville Herva <vherva@niksula.hut.fi> said:

[...]

> I remember the one Be demo I saw 3-4 years ago, where the os developer
> showed us a dual powerpc BeBox and a threaded fractal program he had made.
> He showed the control panel where you could turn cpus on and off. He then
> quickly switched cpus on and off to show how the mandelbrot renderer
> reacted.

Good for demos, even for laughs (as you tell). Can't think of any real use
for such a feature, and unless there is _pressing_ need for it, the cost
(probably a slower, more complex scheduler) just isn't worth it. Even if
the cost is only a dozen extra lines in the kernel and no impact at all I'd
be against it.

Featuritis leads to bloated, unstable systems. Linus' genius is in large
part that he has kept Linux away from there. Let's keep it that way.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl