Re: open() on sockets (was: Linux 2.4.0-test1ac7)

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 03:47:23 EST

    I'm confused about this one. I always thought supporting open()
    on Unix domain sockets would be a great idea -- there is a number
    of things that you can do elegantly that way which you otherwise
    wouldn't be able to do. What is wrong with it?

It's non-portable and the locking code exploded on such FDs at
present. I would suggest we leave the fix I present as is until 2.5.x
and then consider putting in non-portable semantics with a proper fix
in the posix locking code.

  --cw