Re: Linux 2.2.16pre6

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 15:51:20 EST

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > I've had occasional network lockups with my 8139, as well, on an SMP box.
> > (Yes, a BP6...) There are a few syslog references indicating that the IRQ
> > handler has been reentered (which Donald refers to in the source as "an
> > x86 bug") - related??
>
> Well, Jeff refers to it as a driver bug. I put spinlocks into the 2.4
> 8139too driver... no more reentry problems.

ISTR some references to it as a feature, although that may only have
applied to 2.[34].x. It's one of those things nasty people like Mindcraft
can exploit to make Linux look bad under certain circumstances, at least;
OTOH, someone was complaining about Linux not handling GbE traffic fast
enough.

> > (My other BP6 box just refuses to talk to that 8139 at all... OTOH, it
> > also refused to talk to a PCI-NE2k until I flashed in a new BIOS. And
> > using the HPT366 driver, hdparm kills the box hard enough I have to reset
> > the CMOS RAM...)
>
> I saw a recent post saying that the BP6 required a bleeding-edge-latest
> BIOS to work really well..

I've reflashed that machine with the QQ beta 1 BIOS, and it seems to be
behaving itself with the PCI-NE2k clone except for hdparm making it
terminally ill. (I could understand a hard crash - but fscking the CMOS
RAM?!) I've commented that section out of the init scripts now; I'll see
how it behaves when I reboot later.

James.