Linux-2.4.0test1-ac7 VM performance issues

From: t.n.vanderleeuw@chello.nl
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 15:42:59 EST

Hello,

Since several VM changes went into -ac6 and -ac7, I decided to test
performance and was disappointed.

As soon as the system needs to touch swap, there are noticeable
hickups. The system can freeze for up to a few seconds. mp3 playback
severely stutters and sometimes skips several seconds.

MP3 playback in -ac6 was a lot better, altho not perfect. But
everything else seemed unreasonably slow while the mp3 was playing:
compilation, starting up netscape, starting up any program...

I then went back to -ac5, and it was essentially the same as -ac6.
Perhaps a little bit better, but not dramatically. At least I could
compile a kernel while playing an mp3 and browsing the net, under -ac7
just browsing while playing an mp3 was not to be tried!

I'm not aware of any VM changes between pre9-4 and -ac5 so I didn't go
back any further with my testing, but when I tried this about two weeks
ago I didn't seem to have the same stuttering.
However, I don't normally play mp3's so I can't really compare much and
I've been too lazy to configure my soundcard for 2.2 kernels.

I don't know if this is the result of unfinished work, or just a matter
of tuning, but I thought I'd let ppl know! :-)

--Tim