Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 15:02:25 EST

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl) writes:

> In article <cistron.200005311548.KAA04695@khijol.org>,
> Ed Carp <erc@pobox.com> wrote:
> >Jan-Benedict Glaw (jbglaw@lug-owl.de) writes:
> >> Do you really think all that crypto stuff should be in a standard kernel?
> >> Even if there's no longer any problem to *export* it from Amerika, there
> >> might be problems *importing* it into more restrictive countries like
> >> China or France or so...
> >
> >So? That's *their* problem, not ours...besides, the governments of China and
> >France can KMA for all the freedom they give their slaves...err, citizens...
>
> That's a bit short-sighted isn't it? When Linus still lived in Finland
> and the main kernel site was on funet.fi kernel crypto hooks didn't
> appear in the kernel because that would make it illegal in the USA.
> And everybody agreed that was a reasonable thing to do.

I don't think that, even then, it would've been illegal in the US, either to
import or to use - just re-export. But, this is the internet - facts sometimes
get obscured by hand-waving and people yelling...

> What exactly is different now apart from s/USA/China/ and s/Finland/USA/ ?
>
> *I* live in a free country, without software patents even, so I don't
> really care one way or the other, but the "fuck them" attitude is
> still a bit worrying.

Why? Why should anyone pander to the interests of any government whose purpose
is to oppress its citizens by denying them even the most basic of rights?

--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@pobox.com		940/367-2744 cell phone
			http://www.pobox.com/~erc