Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 12:26:40 EST

In article <cistron.200005311548.KAA04695@khijol.org>,
Ed Carp <erc@pobox.com> wrote:
>Jan-Benedict Glaw (jbglaw@lug-owl.de) writes:
>> Do you really think all that crypto stuff should be in a standard kernel?
>> Even if there's no longer any problem to *export* it from Amerika, there
>> might be problems *importing* it into more restrictive countries like
>> China or France or so...
>
>So? That's *their* problem, not ours...besides, the governments of China and
>France can KMA for all the freedom they give their slaves...err, citizens...

That's a bit short-sighted isn't it? When Linus still lived in Finland
and the main kernel site was on funet.fi kernel crypto hooks didn't
appear in the kernel because that would make it illegal in the USA.
And everybody agreed that was a reasonable thing to do.

What exactly is different now apart from s/USA/China/ and s/Finland/USA/ ?

*I* live in a free country, without software patents even, so I don't
really care one way or the other, but the "fuck them" attitude is
still a bit worrying.

Mike.