Linux NFS Woes

From: Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 12:01:34 EST

     I never heard anything constructive with regards to the permission
problems in knfsd other than, "yea I reported this two years ago and it's still
broke" from other people who were similarly afflicted.

     But I also have a problem with the userland nfsd under 2.2.15.

     Under 2.0.x, when an NFS server went away briefly, such as during a
reboot, NFS clients frequently wouldn't recover and I'd end up having to reboot
them (although sometimes I could get away with remounting the affected file
systems).

     Under 2.2.x this behavior largely dissappeared until 2.2.15. In 2.2.15,
this old problem has resurfaced with a vengence. If an NFS server goes away it
is almost guaranteed I'll have to reboot the NFS clients now. I don't know
what changed from 2.2.14 but this is a real PITA.