linux 2.2.16pre6 apm power off not working.

From: M Sweger (mikesw@whiterose.net)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 07:46:51 EST

Hi,
  I have linux 2.2.16pre6 compiled with the aic7xxx v5.1.29 patch
using egcs v1.1.2 and libc v2.0.7pre6. My hardware is a Dell optiplex
GX1 333mhz uni-processor machine.

  After bootup and I do a "halt" command which in the
rc.0 script it will do "halt -f -p" that forces a halt (not shutdown)
and a poweroff, the computer however will not poweroff. This worked in the
early 2.2.14 kernels,but not in the 2.2.15 and newer kernels.
It doesn't matter if the BIOS has ACPI on or off, nor if SMP support
is compiled in or not although this is only a single processor system.
Moreover, I've been told by linuxcare people that one needs
"apm=power-off". However, I don't have lilo but use loadlin. Here
is the MSDOS batch file and the command line options I have.

loadlin kernel\zimage root=/dev/sda6 rw console=ttyS2,9600 apm=power-off

I don't have apmd running, nor any ACPI daemons/tools running, which
I think won't make any difference... I think.

So, I think there still is a bug in the APM stuff.