Re: Organized Linux QA?

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 22:07:01 EST

Jeff Garzik sez:
> More power to you, sir!

Taking that as an indication the group would find such a database
helpful, I just registered linuxquality.com and .org at
www.internetnamesww.com

(I selected them as a domain registrar recently based on their review at
http://www.domainnamebuyersguide.com - you should know that Network
Solution ranks at "Consumer Alert" while Melbourne IT, the folks at
internetnamesww, get four stars.

This should make your nipples hard: if we allow the user to enter their
.config files when they report a bug against a kernel build (or report a
success), then since the .config is already in a pretty machine-readable
format the database can parse the thing and allow driver and kernel
developers to do keyword searches according to the configs people used.

For example, you could say "Find me all the Pentium III users who
enabled NTFS writing in their systems" for any purpose whatsoever, even
if they weren't reporting a bug against NTFS. Then you could ping them
to try out a new version of the NTFS driver, for example.

  Of course, a user might have configured an option that's not actually
available on this system because the hardware's not actually installed -
but what do you have now when you want to find someone who has the
configuration necessary to test something you've written?

I have what I need to begin _developing_ such a database on my own, but
to collaborate with others, and ultimately to allow the public to add
reports to it, I'd need someone to host it.

All I would need now for collaborative development would be a Pentium II
or so but on a decent static-IP internet connection. This would be to
host CVS and to have a testbed database.

To be able to build and install databases and run Apache on port 80, I'd
need to be root on this machine. However, there's ways around that - it
is possible to set up both MySQL and PostgreSQL as a non-root user and I
could run apache on a high-numbered port for testing (which might be
just as well if the machine is being used as a web server for some other
purpose).

I could actually possibly host the production version myself in a few
months. I just got a cable modem now; I only had ISDN until I moved,
but DSL isn't available here. I'm going to move in July and plan to
have something serious in the way of bandwidth into my house once I get
settled after our wedding at the end of July.

Hmm.

I may have a couple friends who have network service available. One guy
already said he'd set up a server for our common use. Another guy said
he'd run a bug database for use by my clients, but I don't know if he'd
want all the traffic of linux-kernel stampeding into his house to test
the database.

Anyone else willing to host a database? The development server would
only need to be hosted until the end of the summer or so.

Mike
http://www.goingware.com
crawford@goingware.com