Re: How stable is NTFS write?

From: Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 05:49:17 EST

> But what I'm asking in this question is how safe it would be to mount
> the NT partition writeable and copy the 512 byte file over the existing
> 512 byte file. That should be safe as these things go but the note in
> the kernel config help is pretty extreme in its warning.

Some time ago, I did this regularly (under Linux 2.2.10 or .11). Never
had any problems. Overwriting one (pre-existing - at first I used the
floppy trick) file on NTFS with another file of same size seems to
be about the easiest NTFS write operation. (I remounted the NTFS
partition r/w for the short time it took to write the file, then
immediately rebooted.)

What doesn't work is editing the NT boot file from Linux, as it
doesn't seem to be able to truncate files correctly. But you usually
do this only once.

Olaf