Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #873

From: System Administrator (dburr@ug.cs.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 22:02:58 EST

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2000 11:50:22 +1000 (EST),
> System Administrator <dburr@ug.cs.usyd.edu.au> wrote:
> >> Francois Romieu kindly pointed out that my modutils were out of date (I
> >> was using the Slackware 7 ones, which were built for a 2.2.something
> >> kernel) and that was apparently part of my problem with linking the
> >> Adaptec 1480 SlimSCSI driver.
> >>
> >> So I got the 2.3.11 modutils and built and installed them, and I've done
> >> full clean builds several times and everything, and no matter what I do,
> >> depmod says every module I have has unresolved symbols. I get the
> >> impression none of them are linking at all.
> >
> >Modutils 2.3.11 is broken (depmod anyway). Downgrade to 2.3.9 (Worked for
> >me(tm)). Don't know about 2.3.10. In frustration I went back to
> >something that I knew to work.
>
> Where is modutils 2.3.11 broken? Ever considered submitting a bug
> report? There have been 2,000+ downloads of modutils 2.3.11 and
> *nobody* has reported any problems with the code. I hate people who
> say "XYZ is broken" without any details and without reporting the
> problem.
depmod reports unresolved symbols on symbols that are easily found in
system.map (eg printk).

I haven't submitted a bug report because it may have been particular to my
kernel/app setup. Now that someone else is reporting the same errors, I
gave the advice with the official (WFM(tm)). (if it fixed the problem,
will probably lead to a bug report). It may be a problem in my
version of ld/nm conflicting with depmod. nm and ld are 2.95.

I can send you details of my setup if you're interested in identifying the
problem.

DB