tlan woes - interface goes down if pushed hard

From: Joel Sloan (jjs@toyota.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 14:16:33 EST

Greetings -

I have been running 2.3 kernels on test machines here on
a 100baseT segment, and I've noticed those with a tlan
ethernet card can be easily and repeatably forced offline
by apachebench.

It usually takes only a minute or so of apachebench testing
to render the host unreachable. There are no syslog messages
and all seems normal at the console.

The host can be brought back online by restarting the network.

This has happened on Pentium-mmx and Pentium II systems
running Red Hat 6.x -

Needless to say, this would be pretty embarrassing in certain
hypothetical situations which you can imagine -

I can try whatever debugging or diagnostic activities you might
care to suggest -

I'd just like to see this get fixed for good.

Thanks & Regards,

jjs