Re: How stable is NTFS write?

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 04:27:29 EST

At 09:25 30/05/2000, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
>An alternative I've seen references to is to use lilo to boot NT. If I
>could do that I'd be happy. My whole fat partition lies within the 1024
>limit.

Yes, you can. - That is in fact how I boot my NT. - Just install LILO in
the MBR so it doesn't kill the NT boot sector on the NTFS partition.

Here is a simplified version of my /etc/lilo.conf which you can use as a
starting point, the key being the bottom of the file starting from "other =":

boot = /dev/sda
timeout = 100
prompt
default = l4
vga = 3
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
image = /boot/bzImage-2.4.0-test1-ac4
   append = "video=matrox:vesa:0x11C,depth:32,fh:100,fv:160,maxclk:200"
   label = l4
   root = /dev/sda9
   read-only
other = /dev/sda2
   label = wnt
   table = /dev/sda

Obviously you have to change the /dev/* to point to whatever your hardware
setup is.

Run lilo after editing and you should be absolutely fine.

>But what I'm asking in this question is how safe it would be to mount
>the NT partition writeable and copy the 512 byte file over the existing
>512 byte file. That should be safe as these things go but the note in
>the kernel config help is pretty extreme in its warning.

Copying one file on top of the other will probably work without causing
damage, at least the times I have done that it has worked ok. But then
again don't blame me if your NTFS partition blows up... - It would be much
safer and more elegant to use LILO.

HTH,

Anton

--

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

-- Anton Altaparmakov <AntonA at bigfoot.com> (replace at with @) ICQ: 8561279 WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/