Mixing PCMCIA services and kernel versions?

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 00:27:54 EST

I have the impression that I need to have a PCMCIA card services version
that matches up the release of the kernel I'm using.

Can I run with a choice of different major releases of the kernel (in my
case 2.2.13 and 2.4.0-test1-acX) and get PCMCIA to work whichever kernel
I boot off of?

What happens is that when I boot off of a 2.4.0 kernel, cardmgr mentions
something about there being a wrong version when it starts up.

If I have a card in (I have an Adaptec 1480 SlimSCSI card) then it works
ok under 2.2.13 but gets "unsupported card" with 2.4.0.

Or do I need to do some further configuration to make the card services
work fully under both versions?

I've only just bought my first cardbus card so I don't know squat about
using these things under Linux. At least it works - under NT it locks
up my laptop!

This is with Slackware 7. My laptop is described at
http://www.goingware.com/laptop

While I'm here, is it possible to boot off the 1480A? With most SCSI
controllers you can hold a key to get into their BIOS and enter the SCSI
ID of the boot drive. I've seen mention of support for booting with the
1480A but I don't know how to enable it to boot.

Regards,

Mike Crawford