Re: Linux 2.2.16pre5 - NFS - can't compile NFSD as module

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 18:52:22 EST

On Mon, 29 May 2000 18:47:07 GMT,
Zdenek Kabelac <kabi@fi.muni.cz> wrote:
>Speaking about NFS, I've discovered that I can't compile nfsd as module.
>variable do_nfsservctl is not being resolved by modprobe:
>
>When I look at /proc/ksym I could see this:
>
>c01e7274 do_nfsservctl_R__ver_do_nfsservctl

Richard, please add this to the FAQ as "Missing symbols with _R__ver_
in the name", probably under "Mysterious kernel messages".

Whenever you see _R__ver_ in a kernel symbol it means that the Makefile
stuffed up the symbol versioning. The only guaranteed fix is to remove
everything and recompile from scratch. You have to use make mrproper
to remove the broken version data but make mrproper deletes .config so
save that first.

  mv .config ..
  make mrproper
  mv ../.config .
  make oldconfig dep clean
  Then compile and install kernel/modules.