Re: Bertrand Meyer challenges some open-source assumptions

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 13:13:14 EST

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > On http://www.sdmagazine.com/features/2000/03/f4.shtml there is a very
> > interesting article called "The Ethics of Free Software" by Bertrand Meyer a
> > famous guru in objectorientation.
>
> Is this the guy who designed Eiffel and now has a competing free Eiffel
> compiler to worry about ?

You'd never guess - "For example the GNU Eiffel compiler was developed at
the University of Nancy by employees of that university who (in contrast
with commercial Eiffel vendors, who need paying customers to survive) get
every month a salary from the State, whether the users are happy or not
with the product. This is a typical case of taxpayer-funded software. "

Translation: "I can't take the competition, so I'm trying FUD instead."

I'm halfway through the article so far, and he's contradicted himself in
every paragraph. I can't wait to see the rest...

James.