Re: Slow development cycle

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 01:45:01 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.21.0005281347520.32755-100000@duckman.distro.conectiva>
> By author: Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > OTOH, maybe we *did* include too much new features in
> > the 2.3 cycle. We may want to try doing a bit less next
> > time.
> >

> I think we did; we have fallen into that pit before. It's very easy
> to get seduced by "one more thing"; especially after a previous long
> cycle where things have piled up.
>
> However, code freeze after two months is completely unrealistic
> IMNSHO. The big thing, and I know a lot of people have asked for
> this, is to call a code freeze and sticking to it.

But having a 1-year code freeze is not realistic either. Linus called
"code freeze" last september if I remember correctly.

When in a code-freeze, the new development kernel should be opened up
almost immediately. Wether it's called 2.5.x or ....-ac doesn't really
matter.

Wether Alan wants to maintain another kernel tree is up to him.

                                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********