Re: Advertising SuSe on lkml

From: Ian McKellar (yakk-linux-kernel@yakk.net.au)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 22:25:05 EST

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 11:11:58PM -0400, Coy A Hile wrote:
> Garst R. Reese sez....
> >
> > I find this really offensive. Since when do we have to buy a some stupid
> > assed distro (e.g. SuSe, RH) to get what they perceive as stability.
> > SuSe = RH = M$
> >
> > Garst
>
> I have to agree with this. What does what distro one runs have anything to
> do with stability? Linux is linux; some distributions are more bloated
> than others (i.e. Suse, mandrake, rh), and i personally find that unappealing.
> but again, what the hell does what distro somone runs have to do with kernel
> dev, which is what lkml is supposed to be about?

Its about the patches that they apply to the kernels they ship. Suse (who I
don't personally like as a distro) ship a 2.2 kernel with the USB backport
patches applied. The point is that its not Linus' fault that RH doesn't ship
with decent USB support - if they wanted to they could do what Suse do -
fund development and put time and energy into getting it into their version
of the kernel quickly.

Linux /isn't/ linux. I don't know of any distribution that ships an unpatched
kernel. Many people treat Linus' kernels as a stable baseline to develop on
top of.

The original message would have been more useful if there was a link to the
USB backport patches, but I would hardly call it advertising.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700