2.4.0-test1-ac4: old SMP oops still happening

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 17:45:19 EST

Hi everyone,

This oops has been happening with every 2.3 kernel for as long as I've
had this particular machine. 2.2 is rock-solid on this machine, but 2.3
spews these APIC error messages, and eventually locks. Using serial
console, I have captured the errors; they typically happen after 24-48
hours of continuous operation, whereas the APIC error messages comes
every few seconds or so.

The failure mode is one of two: either an NMI watchdog triggers (shown
in the attached messages), or the machine ceases normal processing and
starts spewing APIC error messages to the serial console.

Someone on here once tried messing with /proc/irq/*/smp_affinity; it had
no effect on the crash.

The following is available at http://userweb.kernel.org/~hpa/oops/:

oops message and boot log, ksymoops, .config and a dump of info from
/proc.

        -hpa