ide-floppy problems with 2.3/2.4

From: Ian Wehrman (ian@wehrman.com)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 14:51:03 EST

hello,
i have had consistent troubles with my atapi zip-250 drive in 2.3. whenever i
cp a medium size directory (~80 MB), it gets stuck in the D state. any
attempts to kill the cp command, sync the filesystem, or touch the device
result in those processes also being stuck in D state (also kswapd, kupdated,
and kflushd). i'm using 2.4.0-test1-ac4 now, but this has been going on at
least since ~2.3.3x. there don't seem to be any errors generated, it's just
that everything seems to be waiting indefinitely for the hardware to catch up.
the zip drive works just fine in 2.2. the drive defaults to DMA mode, but this
also happens when i set it to PIO. the system is a 700mhz pIII, 256 MB ram,
and is not heavily loaded when this happens. let me know if i can supply more
information.

thanks,
ian wehrman
ian@wehrman.com