2.5 feature list (was: Re: Slow development cycle)

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 15:24:52 EST

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Kenneth C. Arnold wrote:

> > I'm looking forward to Kenneth's kernel patches that
> > will stabilise and speed up 2.4 within the next two
> > weeks.
>
> Coming... yeah right. Identify a few issues that *somebody* *is*
> *not* *already* *working* *on*, and I'll see what I can do...

irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies

There is enough stuff you {c,sh}ould be working on,
trust me.

> > OTOH, maybe we *did* include too much new features in
> > the 2.3 cycle. We may want to try doing a bit less next
> > time.
>
> Okay. Where's Rik's list of exactly the features and
> improvements that should go into 2.5 => 2.6? This one _is_
> serious.

Here is my (short) list. I'm sure others must have more:

- threaded dcache
- better VM (http://www.linux.eu.org/Linux-MM/)
- fair scheduler (http://www.surriel.com/patches)
- (better) support for NUMA machines

- <your idea here>

Note that some parts of the new VM are already usable and
stable and are ready for 2.4 inclusion (where I'd like to
see them since 2.2/2.3 VM performance was just poor).

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.

Wanna talk about the kernel? irc.openprojects.net / #kernelnewbies http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/