Re: 2.4.0-test1-ac4 observations

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 11:28:14 EST

Russell King writes:
> I've been trying to run 2.4.0-test1-ac4 on my firewall/gateway machine
> without much success. Here's a list of observations so far:
>
> 4. "ipchains" part of the netfilter seems to cause kernel
> lockup.
>
> Again, I haven't investigated this deeply yet. However, the
> symptom is that if I try to ping machines on the Internet
> from machines within my local network, it causes the
> 2.4.0-test1-ac4 firewall to lockup. Timer interrupts are
> still running, but it doesn't respond to its serial tty
> nor pings from the local network.
>
> I guess something is locking up in a bottom-half handler
> in ipchains, which then prevents all other bottom-halfs
> from running.

Turning on debugging in netfilter turns up an infinite loop occuring with
the message:

Found best for tuple c0123d70: x xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1070 -> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:24674

Oh, and it seems to be masquerading stuff in both directions, dispite my
chain rule which explicitly says "packets going out through ppp0":

 pkts bytes target prot opt tosa tosx ifname mark outsize source destination ports
   24 1612 MASQ all ------ 0xFF 0x00 ppp0 anywhere anywhere n/a

5. NFS seems to randomly "forget" to write data into files.

   After a reboot (from the infinite loop crash above), most (but not all)
   modules which make modules_install placed into /lib/modules/2.4.0-test1-ac4
   were zero length, dispite having been loaded in the previous session
   (eg, the ipchains.o module).
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\