Memory Leak in the later 2.3 test kernels

From: Ari Pollak (compwiz@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 09:40:59 EST

There seems to be a rather large memory leak in kernels starting at around
2.3.99-pre9, and continuing through the current 2.4.0test1-ac4, and it
looks like it relates in some way to disk accesses. Here's the problem -
Every night, on my Red Hat 6.2 system, slocate.cron runs, which just
updates the locate database with the local filesystems. However, by the
time it is done running, it has used up 55+ MB of memory
(-/+buffered/cached, much more raw mem.), and has not given it back up, so
while free shows 55 MB used (15 MB normally used on this system in
console..), ps & top don't show anything using that much. This has not
happened in any other kernel before 2.3.99-pre9ish, which leads me to
believe it's the kernel's fault. Here are some brief specs of the machine:

AMD K6-2 450, ALi M1541 chipset, UDMA/33 enabled on both WD 6.4 GB hard
drive & Acer 50X cd-rom, as well as 32-bit disk access enabled on the hard
drive, apmd running, gcc 2.95.3.

(Please CC any replies to me directly)