Re: loop device deadlocks (was Re: Linux 2.3.99pre9-2 JOB list)

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 15:51:29 EST

On Sat, May 27 2000, Steve Dodd wrote:
> > To follow up myself: with plugging disabled, it works for me (tm);
> > otherwise it breaks very fast.
>
> Some people seem to be seeing other problems though; a first glance suggests
> it might be free request starvation / deadlock.

Disabling plugging never cured the problem here. But with the separate
queue request free lists patch that I posted to this list some time ago,
all problems were gone. As Steve indicates, this also suggests request
starvation.

The traces I saw (this is about a month ago, so I might be a little
off) had loop waking kflushd, which itself was deadlocked in
get_request_wait.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD/DVD-ROM, SuSE Labs