Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 11:00:39 EST

On Fri May 26, 2000 at 09:32:17PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> The tty mode of CML2 gives you this kind of feedback when you hit a
> constraint violation. I'm working on making the feedback more informative.
>
> Again, this is the sort of thing that requires an atemporal, declarative
> view of the world rather than a temporal, imperative one. Which is why
> the change to the CML2 language is really important -- it makes doing
> dselect-like things possible.

Both dselect and apt work to perform the job of installing applications while
managing antecedent dependancies and conflicts, but neither dselect are apt
were written in CML2. Both were written in C++, and the source code is freely
available.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/