Re: Actual environment size comparison of CML1 and CML2

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 03:31:35 EST

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Ghods, no. cmlconfigure is exactly the second Tcl/Tk program I have
> written. I don't *like* Tcl/Tk, but I can live with it.
>
> Again, let's compare apples to apples. Maybe you want to throw away xconfig
> entirely. Maybe *I* want to. It's not realistically possible.

<innocent> ... and why is it impossible? Because of somebody who can't be
arsed to keep the palm away from his... pointing device for several
minutes but wants to configure the kernel?
</innocent>

OK, guys, let's get serious - provided that language will stay stable I'll
do the C version. You've got a description of this beast and as long as
you will remain compatible with it I don't see a problem.

Getting more regular description of the config options _is_ a good thing,
but let me repeat - in the long run fixing the underlying problems that make
configuration complex is better than suiting the tools to that complexity.