Re: Actual environment size comparison of CML1 and CML2

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 02:55:56 EST

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>:
> > > Sure does. Until you start thinking about the actual numbers attached
> > > to various possible alternatives. Here are some byte sizes I
> > > collected from my Red Hat 6.2 system and the 2.3.99pre9 kernel tree:
> > >
> > > 4,971,072 Python 1.5.2
> > > 16,290,796 Perl-5.00503
> >
> > ... it looks like I'm going to take it, after all:
> > Package: perl-5.005-base
> > Version: 5.005.03-7.1
> > Section: base
> > Filename: dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/base/perl-5.005-base_5.005.03-7.1.deb
> > installed-size: 1328
> >
> > So, Eric, did you really mean what you had written or IJHBT?
>
> I mean what I said, but now I'm wondering what kitchen sinks got
> thrown in the RPMs to make my installation that big. I presume your
> 1328 installed size is in kilobytes? Then we might be looking at a

Positive.

> 2.7M advantage for Perl -- but I gotta wonder if that base package
> includes stuff like DataDumper or Tcl/TK which CML-2-in-Perl would
> actually need.

Package: perl-5.005
Version: 5.005.03-7.1
 Note that this supplements perl-base, providing the full Perl
 distribution.
installed-size: 6732

> Wait, it *can't* include Tcl/TK -- it would have to be at least 2M to
> do that. Thump! Scratch one straw man. Want to try coming up with
> more realistic figures?

BTW, your 5Mb also do not include Tcl/Tk, right? Notice the Priority: part
of headers.

As for the Tcl/Tk being needed - sorry, it isn't. To start with, we don't
need no stinkin' widgets to do the thing (_especially_ C version).
Remember that IOCCC entry (1991)? X client != bloat... Hmm... Nah,
interpreter will not fit into IOCCC limits ;-/ Or will it?