Lockup on sync in 2.4.0-test1

From: Len Sorensen (lsorense@opengraphics.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 13:10:15 EST

I seem to have encountered a rather bizarre lockup which causes the
system to end up in a state very much like the previous reiserfs
trouble with pre7 through some pre9's.

Running debian 2.2 (potato) and trying to do a 'make release' with
the boot-floppies package causes the machine to lockup part way
through the build when trying to call 'sync'. The simplest way to
reproduce it so far I have found is:

cd /usr/src/boot-floppies
./rootdisk.sh "" /reiser/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386 3200 2.2 "" C ""

which will deadlock the system in the same way as calling 'apt-get update'
used to do until reiserfs 3.6.6 when running a reiserfs file system. ps,
top, etc anything that touches the pid of the hung process will hang and
alt+sysrq+i does NOT kill them, +s does not sync and +u does not manage to
re-mount read-only (at least with the reiserfs lockup that used to be
possible).

I am still trying to come up with a smaller test case that would be easier
to debug, but nothing I have tried yet has done it except running the
script.

I am running 2.4.0-test1 aka 2.3.99-pre10-3, and same thing under pre9,
both with reiserfs 3.6.6 patch for pre9 applied. I would try it without
the reiserfs patch except it's going to take me a few hours to move
everything to ext2 before I can test that, and hence similarly I can't
check with 2.2.1[45] at the moment.

The debian archive is on reiserfs, the / (and hence /usr/src/boot-floppies)
is on ext2.

Machine is PII 400 with 64M ram.

If anyone has a clue, feel free to ask for more info or give other test
cases I can try and run.

Lennart Sorensen