Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 05:41:01 EST

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> John Cavan <john.cavan@sympatico.ca>:
> > But I have to ask, what's wrong with Perl for this? It's a well known,
> > fast, and flexible tool that allows rapid development and change. Seems
> > quite appropriate for this sort of effort.
>
> Start with the absence of object serialization in Perl. Python's
> pickle/unpickle was critical to the design.

Hey, let's not have the language war. Perl can do object serialization
with Data Dumper and several others. You have exactly the same access to
the symbol tables in both languages and walking them is trivial. The two
languages are widely recognized to be roughly equivalent in terms of ease
of development.

Eric, it might be useful for you to try freezing your current code and
tell us if the result a) works b) isn't too ungainly.