Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Christoph Hellwig (c0hellwi@laigle.rks.harz.ni.schule.de)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 02:14:19 EST

Sorry, but why don't you simply use mconfig?
cml1 is much more intuitive than your cml2 with
its ugly functional-programming-like syntax and
braind-damaged separation of the cml-files.
You add yet another tool (python) to the requirements for a linux
kernel build. That's bad. Plain C is much better.

But your cml2 has also it's good sides:
 - one parser with different frontends, same as mconfig.
 - only one cml-tree, but this could be done with cml1 too.
   (I'll write a simple patch for this today)

This wekk I started some hacking on mconfig, my version
(http://www.rks.harz.ni.schule.de/~c0hellwi/mconfig-0.18-C1.diff)
contains follwing new features:
 - implements dep_mbool
 - adds some new keys for the menu interface
 - adds an line-oriented interface (not yet ready)
 - removes the "operator '!' not compatible with old interpreters" warning,
   because now every interpreters understands it.

WARNING: the mode-line code is not finished, some parts
don't work and some are not implemented ...

you need the following patch for 2.4.0-test1 to let mconfig parse the cml1
tree: http://www.rks.harz.ni.schule.de/~c0hellwi/mconfig-0.18-C1.diff

Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.