Re: [KBUILD] Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: George (greerga@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 20:49:32 EST

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Ed Carp wrote:

>George (greerga@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu) writes:
>
>> >I've got an old 486/50 laptop that's got a couple of PCMCIA network cards in
>> >it, doing routing/NAT stuff between my home LAN and an ADSL line, and it works
>> >perfectly. It all boots off of floppies, and I'm working on getting it to
>> >boot off of one. It would be impossible if all my stuff were linked against
>> >xlib.
>>
>> Do you build kernels on your router?
>>
>> If not, then your point is moot.
>
>That statement is insane. Whether or not I build kernels on my router has
>absolutely nothing to do with the issue. And if you can't see the point,
>what are you doing here?

Since when do you link your kernel with Xlib?

The point is, you don't need Python to boot the kernel. Only the kernel
build configuration system would link with Xlib, optionally most likely.
Since you wouldn't compile kernels on your disk-booted router, you would
not need the kernel build stuff. Thusly, you would not need Python or
Xlib on the router floppy.

Hence, my point stands.

I don't see the huge argument against Python. Can people really not afford
6 MB of disk space for Python when the kernel compile itself can top 90 MB
for even non-kitchen-sink compilations?

Edit .config yourself with emacs/vi if you're that anal about 6 MB.

-George Greer

(Must we be so rude?)