Re: ramfs: mounting ramfs as / at boot time

From: Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 17:34:30 EST

Werner Almesberger wrote:

> What about the following procedure:

<sigh> My orginal post
-----------
Any ideas on how to go about mounting root using ramfs without utterly
mutilating mount_root()? root=ramfs does not work. (Maybe it should??)

Please do not get into a debate the virtues of doing this.
(Which seems to happen everytime I ask a question on kernel. : >)

It happened anyway.... : P DOOOOHHHH! <slamming head on desk>
NO MAS! NO MAS!

> - you load a small initrd, and boot as usual, with or without /linuxrc
> - your initrd environment creates and populates the ramfs (*)

That's not going to work very well in an embedded system with only 8MB of ram
and a (possibliy) unmountable boot device, OK?